Textbooks and the Library: Providing students with what they need
96 Hour Quarantine. Books must be placed in quarantine for 96 hours after being returned to the library before they can be checked out again.
Purchase Not Allowed. Textbook publishers will not sell electronic versions of their textbooks to libraries. As a result, Penn State Libraries are not able to buy 75% of the textbooks on the market.
Student Needs. The rising costs of textbooks render them unaffordable to many students. Access to high quality course materials improves student outcome.
Alternatives. Instead of traditional textbooks, there are several great alternatives to choose from:
- Open Educational Resources(OER)
- Electronic course reserves
- eBooks – from current Libraries’ collection or have a book added
Change Format. Substitute high-quality video for text. Some materials may be able to be replaced with Libraries-licensed video or free, openly-licensed video.
- Email email@example.com to request help with OER.
- Reach out to your liaison librarian.
- Contact Course Reserves to request the addition of readings to the e-reserves for your course.
The image accompanies Access to Textbooks & Video in the Libraries Collection